Update March 2014
Google has just created Add ons in Google Docs & Sheets which make installing and managing Autocrate easier. Here is the link to Jay Atwood's Autocrat add-on tutorial video.
My YouTube tutorial on how use Google Forms and
the Autocrat Google Apps Script to
create individualized feedback for students
Create a Grading Scoring Guide using Google Forms. You can set this up in variety of ways: you can use standards based grading or use a numerical scale deciding how many points are assigned to each area you are evaluating.
Using the Autocrat Google Apps Script created by +Andrew Stillman allows you to use the responses you placed in your Google Form to provide individualized feedback to your students on their assignments.
You must have the e-mails/usernames of your students Google Apps for Education accounts.
In this instance, you will use the Autocrat Google Apps Script very much like an mail merge.
Documents to create to before you begin
- Your Scoring Guide/Rubric
- Google Form version of your Scoring Guide/Rubric
- The Google Document Feedback template that will be used to create the individualized Google Documents with the information populated from your Google form when you graded their assignment.
- Provide your feedback in a different color than the rest of your document. This is done by changing the text color in your Google Document Feedback template information fields.
- Follow the formatting rules in the Autocrat process. Be sure to include the $ and matching case exactly for the information fields.
Other resources about Google Apps Scripts:
Google Scripts for Edu Chat led by +Jennifer Magiera and +Jay Atwood
Doctopus Demo and Questions led by +JR Ginex-Orinion
+Andrew Stillman's Google Plus Page with his multiple posts about his many Google Apps Scripts